Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Peanut Butter Cookies bring back memories.

I decided to take Peanut Butter cookies to our Thanksgiving on Saturday. Seems like a lot of grandkids like cookies better than a lot of the usual Thanksgiving desserts. Making these peanut butter cookies always brings back memories of the summer before we got married. When I was looking for a wedding dress 50 plus years ago, a local department store was giving away a cookbook if you purchased your dress at their store. At that time it was one of the best department stores in town and known for their good deals. I did buy my dress there and I did get a cookbook.  It was called TO THE BRIDE. It was supposed to help the bride choose the right sliver, china, crystal and linens, appliances and kitchen equipment for the new home. And, I image, purchased from their store. “And most important a wealth of tested recipes”. The book is falling apart just like hubby and I after 50 some years together. But on its torn and yellowing pages is this wonderful Peanut Butter cookie recipe. I have been baking these cookies forever. We think they are the best around.

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup Crisco, 1cup peanut butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar.
Cream together peanut butter and Crisco. Add sugars. Mix
Add 2 eggs, beat well.
Sift together 2 cups flour, 4 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt.
Add to peanut butter mixture, chill dough
Flour palms of hands.
In hand roll heaping tsp of dough into a ball
*I use a cookie scoop and drop the cookies on the sheet.
Place an inch apart on greased cookie sheet.
Flatten with a floured folk; press to make crisscross pattern.
Bake in moderate over 375 for 12-14 minutes.




4 comments:

  1. OMGoodness, I love peanut butter cookies and haven't made them in awhile. My mom used that same recipe! Now you've made me hungry....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story, Rose! And I do love peanut butter cookies. I always buy the kind that separates and has to be stirred and refrigerated. To make it easier I just bought a special gadget that I think will be great once I get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet story, Rose! And I do love peanut butter cookies. I always buy the kind that separates and has to be stirred and refrigerated. To make it easier I just bought a special gadget that I think will be great once I get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the memory you share with the cookies. I hope your grandkids got to hear it!

    ReplyDelete