Saturday, December 10, 2016

Family Christmas traditions. Do you still follow them?

I have a cousin who posts blog style posts, almost daily, on Facebook. I look forward to her posts. Her style of writing is just like the way friends would visit over coffee. Just everyday musings. How her night went, her plans for the day, the weather etc. Today she asked her readers what they remember about their Christmas holidays.

I don't remember any real Christmas Eve traditions other then we always went to Midnight mass and it was so cold. I always loved the smell of all the real Christmas trees and the huge Nativity set. Being in church when it was dark was so magical.

Christmas morning we opened presents and we always went to Babcia after dinner. Spent the afternoon with aunts, uncles and cousins.

I remember the New Eve parties at Babcia's. We always had a "feast" before Midnight so we could start the New Year off with Mass and communion the next day. And the fireworks. There was always fireworks saved from the 4th to welcome in the New Year. I image that the hugs and kisses and shouts of “Happy Year” outside in the cold made the neighbors wonder. But one tradition that I still do, even now that it is just the two of us, I stay up to greet the New Year with the front door open to let him in. And the cold.

My kids will say they remember 7:00 p.m. Mass, stopping for a bottle of wine and a big bottle of pop (special treat in our house) and then Jerry making homemade fudge from scratch. Which by the way he still makes for the whole family, all 30+. Then there was the usual begging to open just one present. And I never gave in. LOL fun memories.

What memories do you have of Christmas’ past? Hope your memories are happy ones, too

Enjoy the season,

Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment