Thursday, October 24, 2013

Have you ever?

I received this email today as the “laugh of the day”.

There was a knock on the door this past Saturday morning.

I opened it to find a young, well-dressed man standing there who said: "Hello sir, I'm a Jehovah's Witness.”

So I said "Come in and sit down."

I offered him a fresh cup of coffee and asked "What do you want to talk about?"

He said, "Beats the heck out of me.... Nobody ever let me in before."



It reminded me of a day many, many years ago. It was a rainy, cold fall day and there was a knock at my door. It was young man, a Jehovah’s Witness.
I don’t normally let strangers in but, for some reason I let that fellow in that day. Figured he could warm up a bit. And, besides, it was a different time. It turns out he was new at his “job”. I asked where he was from etc. all the usual “being polite” questions. He seemed relieved that I wasn’t angrily asking him to leave after finding out he was a Jehovah’s Witness. He was from out east, Massachusetts, I believe. He starting telling me about his family and how he missed them. Commented about being raised Catholic and having doubts. My girls were young at the time and underfoot so I decided it was time for him to leave. He thanked me for letting him warm up and I asked him to put my house on the don’t stop again list and he said he would. Always wondered if he ever found what he was looking for. I never had another Jehovah’s Witness stop for years. He must have honored his word.

Have you ever let a door to door person into your house? Not in this day and time but in years past when it was safer world?  Sure wouldn’t now.

Take care,

Rose

2 comments:

  1. I actually have a long-standing relationship with my Jehovah's Witness team. Two old ladies who know me by name and swing by every other month for a chit chat and to drop off my (never read) Watchtower.
    I have let salespeople in my house, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to find out what happened to my fellow. Letting people in must be a Midwest thing.

    ReplyDelete