Friday, February 14, 2014

Bread pot Beer Bread

Do you have a bread pot? I didn’t know they existed until daughter no. 4 bought me one for my birthday one year. I love using it. It makes just the right amount for us to eat before it dries outs. I love homemade bread but because it doesn’t have all the preservatives of store bought bread, its shelf life isn’t as long.




   This is a pretty simple recipe and the rise time isn’t so long.




Bread pot Beer Bread

2 ½ cups white flour
½ cup wheat flour
4 T Brown Sugar
1 tsp salt
1 egg, well beaten
3 T melted butter
1 cup dark beer( I used a lite beer)

Heat beer to 115 degrees, add yeast and let foam.
Then add brown sugar, egg, salt, melted butter. Mix together.
Add and beat 1 ½ cup flour until mixture resembles pancake batter.
Cover with plastic wrap and allow to form a sponge- about 30 minutes.
Add the rest of the white flour and the wheat flour. Knead until it no longer
sticks to your fingers.
Form into a round loaf shape, place into a well greased bread pot. Allow to rise till doubled in size about an hour. Place in a cold oven, set temp at 425 and bake until loaf sounds hollow when thumped.

My question is how do you reach into a hot oven and thump the bread. I would suggest baking it for about 50-60 minutes. I took ours out a bit too soon but we still liked it.


Ready for the oven.

Right out of the oven.

Time to eat.


Next week I am going to try a strawberry quick bread using my bread pot.

Enjoy,
Rose

1 comment:

  1. It's like a giant muffin! What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete