Tuesday, February 19, 2013

House on the unground railroad??????



I was reading an article yesterday on President Lincoln. It was a brief summary of the hardships he suffered through his life, the dead of a wife, a child, the civil war and slavery. Got me thinking about the slaves and their hardships. Not far from us in the town of Lewis, is a house confirmed to be on the Underground Railroad. I have always found this fascinating since we have always wondered if our house was safe haven for the slave and possibly one on the chain.  Our basement looks like it could have been a place to hide slaves. It has your normal steps going down but, at one time there was a brick wall closing off and hiding and underground passage. It was removed when a new furnace was added many years ago.

Remains of original wall

 Behind that once present wall, is a dirt tunnel leading to a ladder.

original ladder leading to closet

 If you climb up that ladder you would come out in a closet that is in the dining room. 


looking into basement from closet

trap door in closet


We always have wondered if this dirt area was a place to hide slaves when needed. They would have been hidden behind the brick wall and out of sight. Over the years, we have had school kids call and ask if they could see our basement and take pictures of it for a school project on slaves. 

Definitely food for thought.
Rose

8 comments:

  1. Now that is completely fascinating! I think the evidence certainly tilts in your favor as this being a stop on the Underground Railroad. Is there any way to verify? What a great piece of history~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a mystery! How wonderful to live in a house that potentially saved lives, and helped others to freedom. That lifted my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rose,

    I bet you are absolutely right about your home playing a part in history! How very cool. I saw the movie "Lincoln" and found it fascinating. I really should read up on Lincoln!

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting; I grew up in a house that was known to be a stop on the Underground Railroad...with a similar bricked-in area, etc...

    Sadly, this beautiful house with it's history...mahogany woodwork, stained glass, etc.. was badly neglected after we moved out and torn down a couple of years ago. =(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen anything like that. How odd that it remains that way. How old is your house?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering if you ever considered changing the layout
    of your site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.

    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
    Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 images.

    Maybe you could space it out better?

    Visit my site - locate the object

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there, You've done a fantastic job. I'll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends.

    I am confident they will be benefited from this web site.



    Here is my blog post blue cowgirl boots

    ReplyDelete